AVAGO AFBR-57F5MZ 16GFC SFP+ Fibre Channel Optical Transceiver
Avago Technologies’ AFBR-57F5MZ optical transceiver supports high speed serial links over multi-mode optical fiber at signalling rates up to 14.025 Gb/s (the serial line rate of 16GFC). The product is compliant with Small Form Pluggable industry agreements SFP and SFP+ for mechanical and low speed electrical specifications. High speed electrical and optical specifications are compliant with ANSI Fibre Channel FC-PI-5.
The AFBR-57F5MZ is a multi-rate 850nm transceiver which ensures compliance with FC-PI-5 16GFC, 8GFC and 4GFC specifications. Per the requirements of 16GFC, internal clock and data recovery circuits (CDRs) are present on both electrical input and electrical output of this transceiver. These CDRs will lock at 14.025 Gb/s (16GFC) but must be bypassed for operation at 8.5 Gb/s (8GFC) and 4.25 Gb/s (4GFC), accomplished by using two Rate Select inputs to configure transmit and receive sides. Transmitter and receiver can operate at different data rates, as is often seen during Fibre Channel speed negotiation. Digital diagnostic monitoring information (DMI) is present in the AFBR-57F5MZ per the requirements of SFF-8472, providing real time monitoring information of transceiver laser, receiver and environment conditions over a SFF8431 2-wire serial interface.
16GFC SFP+ Digital Diagnostic SFP, 850 nm, 16G/8G/4G
Low Voltage (3.3 V) Fibre Channel Optical Transceiver
• AFBR-57D7APZ: 850 nm SFP for 8G/4G/2G Fibre Channel
• AFCT-57D5ATPZ: 1310 nm SFP for 8G/4G/2G Fibre Channel
• AFCT-57D5ANPZ: 1310 nm SFP for 8G/4G/2G Fibre Channel
• AFBR-57R5APZ: 850 nm SFP for 4G/2G/1G Fibre Channel
• AFCT-57R5APZ: 1310 nm SFP for 4G/2G/1G Fibre Channel
• AFCT-57R5ATPZ: 1310 nm SFP for 4G/2G/1G Fibre Channel
• AFCT-57R5ANPZ: 1310 nm SFP for 4G/2G/1G Fibre Channel
• Compliant to RoHS directives
• 850 nm Vertical Cavity Surface Emitting Laser (VCSEL)
• Class 1 eye safe per IEC60825-1 and CDRH
• Wide temperature range (0 °C to 70 °C)
• LC duplex connector optical interface conforming to ANSI TIA/EIA604-10 (FOCIS 10A)
• Diagnostic features per SFF-8472 “Diagnostic Monitoring Interface for Optical Transceivers”
• Enhanced operational features including EWRAP, OWRAP and variable electrical EQ/emphasis settings
• Real time monitoring of:
- Transmitter average optical power
- Received average optical power
- Laser bias current
- Supply Voltage
• SFP+ mechanical specifications per SFF-8432
• SFP+ compliant low speed interface
• Fibre Channel FC-PI-5 compliant high speed interface
- 1600-SN-M6-S, 800-SN-M6-S, 400-SN-M6-I
- 1600-SN-M5-S, 800-SN-M5-S, 400-SN-M5-I
- 1600-SN-M5E-I, 800-SN-M5E-I, 400-SN-M5E-I
- 1600-SN-M5F-I, 800-SN-M5F-I, 400-SN-M5F-I
• Fibre Channel FC-PI-5 compliant optical link distances
• Fibre Channel switches (director, stand alone, blade)
• Fibre Channel Host Bus Adapters
• Fibre Channel RAID controllers
• Fibre Channel tape drive
• Port side connections
• Inter-switch or inter-chassis aggregated links
The AFBR-57F5MZ can be installed in any SFF-8074i compliant Small Form Pluggable (SFP) port regardless of host equipment operating status. The AFBR-57F5MZ is hotpluggable, allowing the module to be installed while the host system is operating and on-line. Upon insertion, the transceiver housing makes initial contact with the host board SFP cage, mitigating potential damage due to Electro-Static Discharge (ESD)
Digital Diagnostic Interface and Serial Identification
The 2-wire serial interface is based on ATMEL AT24C01A series EEPROM protocol and signaling detail. Conventional EEPROM memory, bytes 0-255 at memory address 0xA0, is organized in compliance with SFF-8074i. New digital diagnostic information, bytes 0-255 at memory address 0xA2, is compliant to SFF-8472. The new diagnostic information provides the opportunity for Predictive Failure Identification, Compliance Prediction, Fault Isolation and Component Monitoring.
Predictive Failure Identification
The AFBR-57F5MZ predictive failure feature allows a host to identify potential link problems before system performance is impacted. Prior identification of link problems enables a host to service an application via “fail over” to a redundant link or replace a suspect device, maintaining system uptime in the process. For applications where ultra-high system uptime is required, a digital SFP provides a means to monitor two real-time laser metrics associated with observing laser degradation and predicting failure: average laser bias current (Tx_Bias) and average laser optical power (Tx_Power).
Compliance prediction is the ability to determine if an optical transceiver is operating within its operating and environmental requirements. AFBR-57F5MZ devices provide real-time access to transceiver internal supply voltage and temperature, allowing a host to identify potential component compliance issues. Received optical power is also available to assess compliance of a cable plant and remote transmitter. When operating out of requirements, the link cannot guarantee error free transmission.
The fault isolation feature allows a host to quickly pinpoint the location of a link failure, minimizing downtime. For optical links, the ability to identify a fault at a local device, remote device or cable plant is crucial to speeding service of an installation. AFBR-57F5MZ real-time monitors of Tx_Bias, Tx_Power, Vcc, Temperature and Rx_Power can be used to assess local transceiver current operating conditions. In addition, status flags Tx_Disable and Rx Loss of Signal (LOS) are mirrored in memory and available via the two-wire serial interface.
Component evaluation is a more casual use of the AFBR57F5MZ real-time monitors of Tx_Bias, Tx_Power, Vcc, Temperature and Rx_Power. Potential uses are as debugging aids for system installation and design, and transceiver parametric evaluation for factory or field qualification. For example, temperature per module can be observed in high density applications to facilitate thermal evaluation of blades, PCI cards and systems.
Download: AVAGO AFBR-57F5MZ 16GFC SFP+ Digital Diagnostic SFP, 850 nm, 16G/8G/4G Low Voltage (3.3 V) Fibre Channel Optical Transceiver